Greetings!

Welcome to Superoceras, a blog about science and natural history, slightly biased towards paleontology and zoology, but inclusive of all sciences. Started in October of 2009, my goal is to communicate scientific knowledge (and the occasional piece of nonsense) in an informative and entertaining manner. Feel free to contact me with questions, comments, concerns, or criticism at superoceras(at)gmail(dot)com, and follow me on Twitter @Superoceras for all that and more in 140 characters or less!

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Wildlife Photography

One of the things I love to do most is get out into nature.  And since you can't (and shouldn't, really) always bring nature home with you, I love to take pictures.  Plants, critters, landscapes; they're all waiting to get captured by the lens.  And with the advent of digital photography, huge memory cards, and the ability to auto-focus, I find myself with lots of photos of wild things and wild places.  They usually get dumped in a folder on my computer, and that's about it.  But recently, I grabbed a few Recoup (like Groupon, but supporting a cause) vouchers for hardcover photo books from a company called PhotoBin, and spent a pretty fair amount of time looking for some of the better shots to print in coffee table style books.  They came out pretty well, and I'm looking forward to sharing them with guests as they drop by the house.  But now that I've gotten some of my photos sorted, I figure the Interwebs would be a pretty good place to share them as well.

A male osprey (Pandion haliaetus carolinensis) faces off against a bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus).  More of this story to come.

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you may have noticed the IFTTT generated post and tweet about newly uploaded photos to my Flickr photostream.  I never broke down and paid for Flickr service, but I got lucky because they recently changed the amount of photos you are allowed to upload (from a set number of pictures to a solid 1TB for FREE!), which means I plan to really flesh out what I'm able to share there.  I also plan to feature more or my own photos here on the blog and talk a little about when, where, and of what they were taken.  Maybe even get back to virtual birding or expand on that idea and create a phylogenetic tree of plants and animals I've managed to check off my life list.  For now, I leave you with the teaser above (and plenty of links to click).  But if you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see on the blog as a reader, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried any of the tips in the Trick Photography guide? It's a nifty little manual you might like (as a fellow photographer). We review it on our scambreakers.com website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing

    หนังจีน

    ReplyDelete